Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Happy Quilt


Here are a few peeks into my latest project. I've jumped off the deep end into unknown territories this time - and it's so much fun! I'm doing a 'story quilt' of sorts. It's one piece of fabric - I drew on it with a fabric pen and am now painting it with Jacquard fabric paint. There's a lot of text and story telling in it (I plan to add more) after the method created by the fabulous Susan Shie of Turtle Moon Quilts. She has an MFA in painting but has been working in this style since the 1970s.
If only I could attend one of her Turtle Camps and really learn from the master. But, she lives in Ohio and with 2 small kids and a husband who works so much... it's just not going to happen. Instead, I've studied her diary and website and have jumped in and given her methods a try. I'll show the final product when finished.

5 comments:

tangled sky studio said...

wow brenda...i don't even know what to say about this work in progress...it's amazing and inspired and when i pick my jaw up from the floor i'll have more to say...it's going to be phenominal, i can tell.

beth

artslice said...

Thank you Beth, you are so very sweet! I'm excited to show the whole thing... but I can't seem to finish it fast enough, like a good book. (so many mommy things to do and places to go - as you know!)
Your encouraging words are always so appreciated :) Have a great Wednesday.

Laura said...

I LOVE IT:)

martha miller said...

Fun, Brenda! Looking great! Don't forget to look at Faith Ringgold! Must be in the air - I've been thinking of making story quilts by combining my painting with some of Lisbeth's new fabrics!

Here are a couple of my young students with their story quilts from a class I taught last spring...

http://marthamillerart.blogspot.com/2009/06/story-quilts.html

artslice said...

Thank you Laura!

Hi Martha -
Funny you mention her... she had a big show in Spokane a few years back at Gonzaga U. It was so fabulous - they had a film about her and some history/process. Love her book, Tar Beach. I'll check out the story quilts you mentioned!