Thursday, May 12, 2011

Egg Dye






All the kids and I colored and decorated eggs on Easter Sunday a few weeks back. It was so much fun! Later that night, all the stuff was still sitting on the kitchen counter... stinking of vinegar. My daughter wanted to dip some of the eggs again to see if they'd change color and it was then I remembered I had a 'ready to dye' packet of silk fabrics. So, I cut them into small strips and we started dipping.


The fabric turned out quite pretty but, now that I've read a little more about dye, fears are coming on. The water was not boiling hot and we did not soak overnight. So, they probably will run like crazy if we use them in a quilt and wash it someday.


Does anyone know how I could set the dye? Or is it set? (the solution was just one egg dye tablet and equal parts vinegar and water.)



PS still carving on the linocut book... on page 9 now.




No comments: