Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Lavender Buds and BooBoo

The big harvest. But, first, some news about our cat...
Stop all the clocks, we had to say goodbye to our beloved BooBoo Kitty. He became very ill with Lymphoma and only lasted a few weeks. He is the only pet our kids have ever known and really 'one of us.' Even though they said 'goodbye', they keep asking when we will pick him up from the vet...
BooBoo Kitty - November 1994-February 2, 2009. Sending you lots of catnip and a big loaf of bread!

Stripped lavender stems.... make great kindling
Yesterday I printed on linen... I'm trading a woodblock pillow for a print with a fabulous Seattle artist! (Hooray!!) So, naturally I printed some other things since the ink was mixed and ready to roll. It was then the idea came to me... lavender sachets. My mom has a small lavender farm and there is a lot of the stuff drying in our house. I finally got around to stripping the buds. It was a long process... my daughter helped and later, hubby came home and chipped in. The sachets will likely end up in the shop once the ink dries.

8 comments:

Rab said...

Poor BooBoo, I am so sorry.

Those are gorgeous lavenders! I had a small garden of them for a while, but your plants appear to be much more productive than mine.

artslice said...

Thanks for the BooBoo condolences - he will be missed.
The lavender was grown in a marine climate on the Olympic Peninsula of WA... apparently it is the perfect place to grow the stuff. This was mostly 'Grosso' which is dark purple and very fragrent!

tangled sky studio said...

So sorry about BooBoo....I'm sure he will be remembered with love and laughter. The lavender is beautiful and bountiful. My little guy just told me yesterday that before "quiet time" at school he gets into the "lavender line" to get drop of oil and a pillow to rest his head on (sounds good to me...)
beth

artslice said...

Thank you, Beth. What a nice touch to have lavender oil to sniff during nap time...a great way to pamper the kids and induce relaxation!

Celia Hart said...

Sorry to hear about Booboo - your kids will always remember their first pet with loads of love.

The lavender processing sounds like a nice calming thing to do. I'll look out for the sachets in your shop.

Celia

ursula dodge said...

hi brenda. finally got my act together and signed up for your blogs. i'm SO SORRY about booboo.
your work is lovely. i need to know what superwoman juice you are drinking, because let me get this straight...two etsy shops, three blogs, two kids, husband...how does that work together? you must be organized and i clearly have a lot to learn from you.
ursula

artslice said...

Hi Celia- Thank you for your kind words about BooBoo, I do appreciate them. Do you grow lavender in your garden?

Hi Ursula - Thanks to you too for the BooBoo condolences. I'm glad you found my blogs! Your comment cracked me up... I had to read it to my hubby :) Thank you for such a nice compliment.

Well, no superwoman juice... but ever since I had kids, I stopped procrastinating. ps I don't really deal much with the 3rd painting blog and shop...

martha miller said...

brenda, when i saw the picture of you cutting the lavender and saw the word boo boo i thought you'd cut yourself. i'm sorry to hear about your cat booboo. it's hard losing a pet...

sachets sound great! i love lavender.

p.s. you have beautiful hands!