Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Wild Card Day...


This post is totally unrelated to artmaking and the like... but I thought it would be fun to have a 'Wild Card Day' once in a while. (Unplanned, naturally or it wouldn't be a true wild card!)
When I'm not making art and doing mama stuff, (which is a very small amount of time!) I love to play the piano. Anyway, these 2 pieces are so lovely... my kids adore The Snowman (by Raymond Briggs) book and movie. There is a gorgeous song played during the part when the snowman and the boy fly in the air and see all sorts of magical things. It's sung by one choir boy - it's one of those pieces that gives you goosebumps! In the Bleak Midwinter is also a beautiful piece... a very old song, I believe. Sarah McLaughlin does a version on her Christmas CD that is divine.

6 comments:

tangled sky studio said...

oh, i love this book, movie and song. maybe my son can learn this one next (right now he's working on christmas time is here by vince guiraldi). you ARE a woman of many talents!

artslice said...

It's a good one! I tried to link the youtube performance -of snowman- to my post but, it wouldn't work :(I love Vince Guiraldi, that Xmas song is one of my faves.
You are funny...I need to get some talent dealing with electronics! (still haven't figured out my ipod.)

Jeane Myers said...

The Snowman is one of my personal Christmas traditions - I love this movie and I watch it every year and like you, I love the music - a wild card day is a good thing - it's good to mix it up!

Paula Villanova said...

How lucky that your kids have a mama who plays the piano! My mom still plays from time to time and I really enjoyed hearing her play when I was growing up. I took, I think about a million lessons but it just wasn't in the books for me to be a pianist. Sigh....

artslice said...

Thanks for your comments, Jeane and Paula...It's nice to hear you liked your mom playing the piano. I'm hoping for the same thing for them. Hopefully they'll be musical because I played a lot when I was pregnant with both of them... and even did recitals. (but oh, thee recitals give me stress!)

martha miller said...

I think I'm all wild card over at my blog!
:^)
I sang In the Bleak Mid Winter with the choir at my Quaker Meeting and it's also one of my favorites. We own a Thomas Moore Christmas CD (Soul of Christmas - I highly recommend it)that has a wonderful rendition of that song.
Ha ha - I took piano lessons for 5 years as a kid (i was never very good - i should've played drums or the fiddle i think) and fully agree on the STRESS factor of the recitals. AWFUL.